0

Romance Abounds: Mrs Robinson.

{credit}
I knew a guy once from childhood.  He was a few years younger than me, but always around hanging out with my friends' little sibs.  He was a total social nuisance, a mud baby and Lost Boy.  I used to roll my eyes at his antics, glad that I wouldn't be the one having to bail him out of jail some day.

Well a while later, he showed up to a summer gathering at a mutual friend's house.  I hadn't seen him in years, and the years gone did him good.  He was tall, tanned, and all of a sudden, matured.  He cycled.  He was going to art school.  He played the guitar.  He had dreams.  We laid on our backs on the lawn as it got dark, and he told me myths about the constellations and how the moon affects our weather.  He would lean his head in to touch mine as he pointed out the stars.  I started humming Simon and Garfunkle in my head, only to be interrupted by his friends, barking at him that they wanted to move on to the next gathering down the street.  My friends were barking too, to come get in the hot tub.  Wordlessly, we both got up.  I looked up at him and shrugged.  He grabbed my hand and pulled me into the shadow of the hedges along the house.

"Wish I was getting in the hot tub," he breathed into my ear.  He sauntered off, turning around to wink at me.

                           I stood there in the dark, paralyzed.

For those who might be curious, he did find me again, but the romance ended there in the shadows.  Drama.

0 comments:

Back to Top