0

KCMO wrap up.

For all my interested peeps, here's my final say on the KC.

The Good:
- The people here are just ridiculously nice. Not a snarky comment heard or received for three months. Hear that sound? a HUGE sigh of relief from me for being able to focus on my job without having to dive past the attitude and ego that seems to be a chronic universal illness that the health care system ails from. Seriously, I didnt even have to fight any urges to punch residents in the face or roll my eyes at a big headed attending. It's so refreshing to work in the place where people smile, are generous with thankyous and genuinely play nice.
-The layout. KC is really easy to navigate. Within weeks I got the highway system down, and I am henceforth going on the record saying that the KCI airport is the most user friendly in the US. You should realize how bold a statement that is, coming from yours truly.
-the food. You wouldnt really know it, but these midwesterners may be closet foodies. It aint no San Fran, and it certainly is no NYC, but Kansas City boasts some hidden jewels among the BBQ sauce.
-the hospital. I am also going on the record to say that Children's Mercy is the best hospital I have worked in thus far. Boy, they really earn their magnet status. There are people to help with everything! People to move beds between rooms, people to check your equipment and stock your drawers, people who solely manage pain, and people to set up your rooms. It made working there so pleasant. They really put their money into keeping their nurses happy and as you might guess, happy nurses make happy hospitals. The end.
The Bad:
- the crime. It's rare for pediatrics to deal with gun shot wounds. I saw quite a few. While at work, there was always some trauma coming, a situation, a really bad story. Quelle heartache.
-the culture. or lack thereof. I won't over elaborate, but the area that I lived in was Momsville. An overwhelming majority of the girls I worked with got married as soon as puberty hit, cranked some kids out, and now are in a perpetual state of Mommy. Not what I'm about. I made some really great friends and met really great people, but it was hard to find people with whom I have much in common, and who didn't need a babysitter every time we hung out. Not a flaw per se, but definitely not for me.
-the food. It has to be said. If I stayed in KC any longer, I would blow up to the size of a small RV and need to be rolled outta town. They make food for EVERYTHING. I can't take it. I love treats as much if not more than everyone else, but my waistline and logical mind can't forbear any more cookies. aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.
The ugly:
I grew up in the incomparable PNW. KC has nothing to climb, jump off of, run through, kayak down, boat across, or traverse down. It's ugly.

0 comments:

Back to Top