0

just a small town girl.

{the morning of}

SO. One of my best friends got married last month.  I have seen her and her 'band through so many years, there are so many stories I could tell here in honor of this couple.  However, I did give a toast, and maybe that would be the best way to acknowledge the event.  

"Hi everybody.  So, we are all here today to celebrate Sheriann and Peter.  To be clear, however, I would like to state for the record that I was Sheriann’s original soulmate.  We met at Gonzaga, sort of by accident, but quickly discovered all of these things that we had in common.  We understand each other in such a kindred way, and I feel like it’s only right that her soulmate get to tell their story here.  
So, it wasn’t long after becoming soulmates that I noticed Sheriann’s weird pen pal relationship.  We would be trying to go somewhere, and she would always make us late because she was IMing someone.  Well, who the HELL is AFROSQUAD84?!  Well, the story finally came out that she had met this guy Peter on this trip on high school, and they talk a lot.  They would joke about how they should eventually get married.  They addressed each other by really cheesy pet names and were each other’s standing drunk dial.  ie, called each other after late nights out, drunk and stumbling home.  This charade went on for years through college, and I was always there, of course to provide commentary and roll my eyes.

As our years at Gonzaga came to an end, it was clear that neither one of us was leaving our college experience with Prince Charming in tow.  Sher, however, still had Peter.  They were talking more and more, both drunk AND sober and plane tickets were added to the equation.  That’s when it occurred to me that this was getting serious and I started joking that of the two of them actually did get married, I would have to sing Journey’s epic ballad “Dont Stop Believing” as my toast, because it only seemed appropriate.  After all, we have this small town girl, living in a lonely world; and the city boy, born and raised in well, north Detroit.  But now that she’s actually in the white dress, and we are at this classy affair, I will spare them both that performance, and instead say this:  to the rest of the world, Peter and Sheriann, were doomed from the start.  They were raised in completely different settings, have completely different careers, and completely different families.  They have never lived in the same city, and they have never vacationed together.  But despite all of this, to Sheriann, Peter was always non negotiable.  He was a given, and throughout all of these years, she always believed that someday they’d end up right here.  So, on this day, I relinquish my title as Sheriann’s soulmate to this man here. So if you would all raise your glasses-  To Sheriann and Peter: 
May they never stop believing; may they always hold on to this feeling.    


Link to the incredible Wedding photos via Andria Lindquist

0 comments:

Back to Top