Peaceful, Easy Feeling.

I may not have been really in the glad tidings mood, but I sure have been thinking about this new year. BTW, I am totally on team twentyten, instead of twothousandandten. Just a side note. I have been thinking that this year I will be peaceful, and full of easy feelings. I will be thankful. I will be content. I will be aware. I will chase butterflies. I will listen to the Eagles. I will be useful.

In this spirit, Haiti is awful.

Haiti has been in a corner of my mind since nursing school. As part of our community health curriculum, we were asked to read the Tracy Kidder book Mountains Beyond Mountains. It's the story of Dr Paul Farmer, a Harvard educated doctor's whose work has been centered around humanitarian efforts to combat TB in the third world, most notably Haiti. Kidder paints a picture of the Haitians as severely disadvantaged, exhausted, and resilient. The turmoil of their healthcare situation was already awful. Despite the best efforts of Farmer and others who have similar drive, the Haitians remain among the youngest to die in the world. As the book title eludes, a Haitian proverb reads"Beyond mountains, there are mountains."

Don't I need to go? I have been doing some research but find myself overwhelmed with trying to figure out which organization to plug into.

Prayerfully considering.

1 comments:

Terry said...

When you figure it out..take you Foster parents with you...serious...not kidding. love you. xoxo

Back to Top