3

Press Pass Optional

I am a believer in itunes.  It introduced me to a lot of fun artists and aided me in avoiding oh, so much homework in college.  I like the way the window looks and how you can check up on what America buys.  I like that the colors aren't overwhelming and that it knows my musical tastes.  I also love how universal it is.  Everyone has it and follows what it does.  I was thinking the other day as I was perusing the 'stacks' that I love the celebrity playlist section.  It's like snooping into the personal tastes of well known people.  It's further evidence why I think Zach Braff and I are MFEO.  However, as I thought further I became put off by the fact that I don't have one.  Ok, so musicians deserve chances to be pretentious and never mark anything that has appeared on a top chart of any kind.  But I'm not.  I like music.  Thus I think that if any former model that appears in this month's teenage bad movie is worthy to share, then so am I.  Even if I gave up Broadway at an early age for whatever it is I do now, I still deserve an itunes celebrity playlist.  Even if not on the actual store, it can be of blog glory.  
Behold my top thirteen stranded on an island songs:

"Peaceful Easy Feeling" by the Eagles.  Glenn Frey is my dreamboat.  I love the way his songs all have this roll-along quality to it.  Good music should be effortless, its merit obvious.  Besides, who doesn't want to sleep with him in the desert tonight, with a million stars all around?

"Waiting in Vain" by Annie Lennox.  You have to just turn it up, close your eyes, and saturate.  It will break your heart.  It feels epic in every way.  

"Always be my Baby" by Mariah Carey.  She was my first love.  This song was perfect for its era.  I was in the fifth grade and it seemed completely natural that whomever I was smitten with would always be a part of me.   Doo Doo doot, dum.

"All My Loving"  the Beatles....or Jim Sturgess.  You can't discount the original, but Jim's voice has that youthful, sultry, virility that I want to hear in this song.  Close your eyes and I'll kiss yuh.  ohhhhhhhhhhhh. 

"Seasons of Love"  the original B'way cast of Rent.  I dare you to not sing along and harmonize.  Loudly.  The emotions of this song are so raw.  Idina Menzel.  

"It's oh so Quiet" by Bjork.  She's a freak, but this song is so good.  I can't help but belt it out every time.  The horns are phenomenal.  

"Every Little Step" by Bobby Brown.  Don't throw tomatoes.  Just look past the drugs, attitude, and misplaced wardrobe and DANCE.  This song is great to run to.  C'mon, it won't make your hair poof.  

"Your Love is Extravagant" by Casting Crowns.  Another close your eyes and saturate song.  It's beautiful.  

"This Way"  by Dilated Peoples and Kanye West.  No matter how far I have already run or how exhausted/sweaty/over it I am, I can always run through this song.  I usually skip back and play/run through it again.  It's about as thuggish as I get.  

"What's so funny about (peace love and understanding)"  by Elvis Costello.  He has a silly little voice.  It always sounds like he needs some nasal suctioning.  Still love the song.  

"Loving, Touching, Squeezing" by Journey.  This recently topped "Lights" for me.  It's surprisingly sexy, in a sexy/cheesy sense.  Would be appropriate as background music for a striptease. Du-NUh nuh nuh.  No matter, I never met any Journey I didn't like.  

"1000 Things" by Jason Mraz.  He is a category all in himself.  I love his nerdy white boy demeanor, how he makes fun of himself and his scittilly dat dat dat scatting.  I have never heard anything quite like him.  I have no desire to.  Read his online journal if you get a minute.  He's almost as insightful as yours truly.  

"Falling" by Keahiwai.  My friend Dionne introduced me to this island group in college.  The vocals and arrangement are very simple, and sweet.  Conjures thoughts of surfboards and sunbathing for two. 

Love Love Love

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Wow!!! I have ALL THAT MUSIC...!! and i love it too !! miss u sooooo flippen much mimi!! I also will be in a city near you too !!!!!

Anonymous said...

"Waiting in Vein"... that is funny because I was watching Serendipity the other day and I think that song is on there. Sam Goody has everything 50% off and I found the soundtrack used there for $5.00 minus the 1/2 off and I didn't buy it because it was used. But now I think this is a sign!

*Mingni said...

you are right....it is totally on that soundtrack! you have to buy it now!!

Back to Top