3

Design of my Decade

It's going to be 2009. The nineties feel like just a Collective Soul song ago. Alas, I have come to the startling discovery that an entire decade has passed since then. This time, ten years ago, we were entering the last year of the previous millenium. Upon further reflection, I realize that this last decade was, and will possibly always be, the most altering in my life.  
Ten interesting facts about 1999:

1: In 1999, I was twelve and in the eighth grade. In the last ten years, I have graduated from jr high, high school, and college. I have learned how to drive(no asian driving jabs, please.) and how to start IVs. I went from a snot nosed preteen to a twenty something with credentials.

2: In 1999, I was dancing in my underwear to the debut cds of BSB, NSYNC, Britney, and Christina. .  I sheepishly admit that some things can't be changed over a mere decade.  :)

3: In 1999, Varsity Blues was first movie release of the year. I was appalled by a lot of it. I hope that girl would still recognize me.

4: In 1999, Eric Harris and Dylan Kiebold executed the Columbine massacre.  The effect of this tragedy will stay with me for decades to come.  Would you have said yes, you believe in God?  I fervently hope so.  

5: In 1999, Napster was started and changed the way we listen to music and use the Internet.  Thanks, Shawn.  I dig it.  Apple also released the first iBook.

6: In 1999, the world population reached 6 billion.  It is now 750 million people richer.

7: In 1999, my family purchased our first cell phone.  We had 60 minutes a month, and only used it when someone was out of town.  I was the only one who could operate it.  

8: 1999 started with Clinton's impeachment.  2009 will start with Obama's inauguration.  

9: In 1999, Lance Armstrong won his first Tour de France.  He's won a few more in the last decade.  

10: In 1999 my parents went through the naturalization process, making them and me proud American citizens.  It's one of the most important anniversaries in my life.  
                   *addendum: upon reading this post my mother felt compelled to tell me that when she and my dad were being "sworn in" ol' Papa Sun didn't even know the Pledge of Allegiance.  It can't be that hard to belong here huh?

Love Love Love in the new year.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey! Didn't we meet in the fall of '99? I am APALLED that didn't make your fancy list. Rahr.

*Mingni said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

*Mingni said...

appalled has two p's. bad spellers dont get to make the list. yes we did, but to be precise ten years ago was 98 turning 99. so that lets me off the hook. til next year:)

Back to Top