0

17 forever.

I've a confession.  I really like to be in public by myself.  It's odd.  I don't really talk about it, usually.  I think this started when I first got my driver's license and discovered the thrill of being my own events coordinator, being in public whist being my own boss.  Liberation extreme.  I like pushing a grocery cart around by myself, I like sitting by the pool solo, I love riding the subway in NYC alone, and I like going to the movies alone.  This last habit started in college, when I was living in the proverbial sorority house and sometimes craved my own company.  I would go see whatever musical/pixar creation/imax documentation that I knew no one else would care about.  It's the perfect two hours to spend, not paying attention to anyone else but yourself and  whomever was starring in the feature presentation.  A few nights ago, I wandered to the local Cineplex in McAllen and decided to go see whatever was playing at 2200.  The result:
I rolled my eyes at myself as I sheepishly asked the prepubescent counter girl for one ticket.  She feigned indifference, but inside I am convinced she was judging me for being so old and so alone, going to see Zac Efron (isn't he jailbait?!) flutter his girlish eyelashes for an entire film.  
The verdict?  (I cringe as I type)  I loved it.   An entirely too far fetched plot line, horrible family dysfunction--including Oedipal tendencies, a rousing dance number, light saber choreography, Margaret Cho as sex ed teacher, ridiculous antics/themed costumes, and Matthew Perry.  Further evidence of my likely "Intervention"-necessary teenie bopper tendencies.  Will I ever mature enough to prefer Oscar nominees, indie documentaries and political thrillers?  I can't imagine, I like the schtick.

0 comments:

Back to Top