0

Hollywood's Into You.

This book is just so poignant.  It resonated with me like the Bible does.  He really, just wasn't that into me.  None of them were.  We went and saw the movie when Andrea was here.  For those of you whom are planning to see it, stop reading and come back.  I have no regard for the sanctity of manners when it comes to not ruining movies.  
The book is a somewhat bitter diatribe of a male/female duo who are sick and tired of hearing their friends, daughters, nieces, cousins, coworkers, etc make lame and pathetic excuses for the men they are seeing (ahem, stalking?) as to why they aren't ensconced in relational bliss yet.  They realized that these men are not scared, busy, or not ready.  They're just not that into these women.  So they compiled guidelines, added real stories from their friends, and wrote a book.  A lame-guy excuse debunk-er, if you will.  If he wants to call, HE WILL CALL.  I see it everyday.  Perfectly lovely and deserving girls who are just baffled by the brush off, or forgive when they really should just forget.  
The following conversation actually happened to me.  My friend was left at the altar.  This man/monstrocity, after a few months decided he wanted her back.  I was appalled at her mere consideration of this scenario:
 her: "well, he really wants to be a good person, but he has a hard time doing it."  
WHAT?! 
 As I told my friend, "I may want to be a turtle, but I'm not.  No male turtle cares that I want to be a turtle, no matter how hard of a time I'm having with it."
I love this book.  Must read for anyone who breathes.  
I was disappointed, at first, to see that the movie brought a softer interpretation.  The painfully overeager girl, turned out to be the exception of the brush off, not the rule.  The book teaches to not expect to be the exception, because you're likely not.  Harsh, but oh so true.  The woman who can't get her seven year boyfriend to marry her ends up with a doorknob on her finger.  I was a little annoyed.  Once again, Hollyweird skews the story to be ideal.  the eternal fairytale. Urgh.  
However, upon further reflection, I let go of my unforgiving review and realized that it was just fine.   Because the thing about guidelines is that they're just that, they can't be the final say.  The writers of the book can't account for gut feelings, relationship ties, and the complications of life.  So fine, sell the fairytale.  Some girl has read the book and is still waiting by the phone anyway.  As long as that girl ain't me, I can indulge in the smush.     

0 comments:

Back to Top